First of all, this could possible be a TISSUE ALERT. You might want to grab the nearest napkin, clean piece of laundry, or hand towel...
Okay...this is all background...I'll tell you when I get to the real story. Just hang with me, okay? :0)
For the first time in a long time, my parents are cool (just kidding, y'all've always been cool to me). They FINALLY have a laptop and, AND internet. (And BTW...the laptop is way cooler than mine, but we both have laptops, nonetheless.) Anyway, so my parents get hooked up with some DSL internet since they have the snazzy new laptop (which these days is practically useless without internet). My parents must have numerous friends that are up to date in the techno world and evidently they are like a bunch of teenagers bragging about what kind of hookups they have for their computers. So my mom and dad have been nagging me about getting this webcam (which, for the record, their laptop came equipped, so who's out money, right?) So, I eBayed this webcam and got it in the mail last week. I've procrastinated...ahem...I mean, been so busy that tonight I decided I'd hook this baby up and give it a go. After a few hours figuring the darn thing out, I called mom.
OKAY...here's the story. I'm on the phone with mom...talking her through getting MSN messenger loaded up, so we can chat. Guess what...that messenger didn't work. Next option: Skype. I download, she downloads...we are ready. I get the webcam turned on (which actually has horrible resolution, but who needs a clear picture really?). I 'call' my mom over Skype. Finally, after about 2 hours of working on it, I hear my momma's voice come through the computer speakers! She says "I can see you, can you see me?" Well, no mom...you gotta turn YOUR webcam on now! Then, all of a sudden, my screen starts loading an image. There they were...in all their glory. Mom with sunglasses atop her head (huh...really...maybe that's where I get that habit...I use my sunglasses as a headband just like her...anyway...different day, different post) and Daddy with his eyeglasses on, neck string attached and all. Sitting in what used to be my brother's bedroom...now 'THE office'. So, here's the big kicker...I see my kid's eyes light up like it is Christmas morning...and then I start bawling. I don't know why...actually, yes I do. There is some kind of crazy connection between your heartstrings, your kids, and your parents. A vicious love triangle like you've never known (well, until you experience its true, pure, undying love). I thought...dang it Kassy...get ahold of yourself. We are just talking on the phone and we can see each other. It was honestly one of the sweetest things I've seen between my parents and Andee. I called Ricky in the room to watch as if Andee were walking for the first time. We both enjoyed it. I LOVED watching my parents kick their heads back in laughter and look at each other when Andee said or did something with her usual hilarity. Then...came the horrible part...time to say bye bye. Andee about had a nervous breakdown. Not to mention, my mother had tears flinging side to side (you know, like in the cartoons). I'm thinking...really? What good could come of this? We've talked with many laughs and snickers for over 45 minutes and it all ends in tears for them, where it had began with tears for me? Well, shoot, I didn't buy the waterproof webcam! Great...10 hard-earned bucks down the drain.
Alright, so back to my story...and yes...I really only paid $10 for it...I'm a cheap-o AND I love eBay, okay?
So, this whole 45 minute talk, it was like Momma and Daddy had been here for a while and now they were leaving. Andee cried and cried. We 'hung' up from Skype, just to make a phone call over the cell phone to talk to Gaga and Papa. We're over it. I'm sure it'll take a few times of webcamming experience for Andee to realize they aren't here and they'll be back.
I am still amazed that I talked to my mom and dad on the computer tonight. Heard them and saw them...566 miles from their front door...all it lacked was touch. I just can't believe how technology has just run away from us. I can't even begin to imagine how awesome this would've been when I was little. I can remember the first time I got online and it seems so recent compared to my lifetime. I just thought I'd share this awesome experience with you all and I urge you that if you live any distance from your parents (your childrens' grandparents) that prevents you from visiting them in person frequently, that you invest in a webcam and get them to do the same. The results are fabulous and you will really enjoy watching your kid(s) love their grandparents over the net.
Love to all...
Dang it Kassy! Now I'm on ebay looking at webcams! My in-laws were here the past couple of days (working on a post about it) and it just made me realize that the girls get to see Ryan's parents so much more than mine! (I love my inlaws, but it makes me sad that they don't know my parents as well ya know?) Anywho, we might give it a try! My dad may already have one so he can chat with all his online girlfriends! hehe Thanks for the tip! BTW....I'M LOVING YOUR BLOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love how my sweet mee-maw and ole-daddy brought us together as friends...they would be happy to know this!
ReplyDelete