**********
The sign reads:
BEAUVOIR
-----
Built 1852-4. Last home of
Jefferson Davis, U.S. Senator,
Congressman, Secretary of
War, and only President of
Confederacy. Beauvoir served
as a Confederate Veterans'
home from 1903 until 1956.

**********
Papa, Gaga, & Andee in front of the Jefferson Davis statue.
**********Papa, Me, and Andee in front of the statue.
**********Jeff Davis' grandfather's grandfather clock. I think the tour guide said this was from the 1780s. The clock was just brought back to the home last week from its restoration. It was slightly damaged in Hurricane Katrina, but it is keeping perfect time. It dinged on the hour and I looked down...1:00 pm. Perfect. They offered to give the clock to me, but being the sweet person I am, I declined. Wasn't that nice?
*I just read on the site that this clock was bought for $75.oo in 1783. This amount now converts to about $35,000.00*
**********
The Davis' piano. This was also offered to me as a gift, but I already have a piano, so I declined. :0)
**********
This is the buffett like table in the front room. It ONLY weighs about 650 lbs. However, Katrina's waters did move it towards the back of the house. It took seven strong men to move it back in place. It is gorgeous!
**********The Davis' piano. This was also offered to me as a gift, but I already have a piano, so I declined. :0)
**********This is the buffett like table in the front room. It ONLY weighs about 650 lbs. However, Katrina's waters did move it towards the back of the house. It took seven strong men to move it back in place. It is gorgeous!
The library parlor. The bookcase in the corner was one of four; one in each corner. Installed at Jeff Davis' request. Love the chase lounge.
The daughter's bedroom. This bed (an entire suit) was given to her as a wedding gift from her parents and she returned it to them when they purchased the home.
This is the guest bedroom. Its not near as nice as my guest bedroom, but its pretty. Ha!
This is the pattern of the glass in the doors. The front and rear doors (double doors about 7 feet tall) all have this glass patterning. I love it!
I suggest if you are ever in the area to visit this home. It is really beautiful. :0)





No comments:
Post a Comment